Our program fosters the development of grace, agility, and strength and includes levels from pre-gymnastics through advanced. All classes are held at Prospect High School (PHS) located at 801 W. Kensington Road.
Jr. Gymnast I (Boys & Girls 5-6 yr.)
Four events will be covered with this introductory class. Age appropriate tricks for bar, floor, low balance beam, & vault will be introduced. Students will learn the basic movements for each event in a well-supervised and safe environment.
Jr. Gymnast II (Boys & Girls 5-6 yr.)
Pre-Requisite for this class is completion of Jr. Gymnast I or the participant must be able to complete the following: perform a successful cartwheel, simple walks and balances on the beam, swings and supports with the bars, and squat on with the vault. This class will enhance the skills the students already know as well as introduce new tricks with each event.
Girls & Boys Beginner (7 & 8 yr.)
The beginner classes will cover all of the basic skills and safety techniques for each event. Girls will cover the 4 Olympic events floor, beam, bars, & vault. Boys will cover the 6 Olympic events floor, parallel bars, low bar, vault, pommel horse, & rings.
Girls & Boys Advance/Beginner (7-15 yr.)
The advance/beginner class will cover the following areas in each event:
- Floor —Tricks that will be covered include rolling and limber work from handstands, 1-Arm cartwheels, & round offs.
- Vault —Students will learn the proper steps to the vault and work on going over the vault.
- Beam —Students will train on leaps, jumps, & turns and how to vault to the beam.
- Bars —Students will train for advance swings and dismounts.
- Pommel Horse (boys only) —Students will get introduced to leg swings and circles.
- Rings (boys only) —Students will begin to work with low and high rings w/advance balances.
Girls Intermediate (7-15 yr.)
The Intermediate level classes will cover the following:
- Floor —Walk-over work and drills for handsprings.
- Vault —Students will be introduced to handsprings with proper repulsion drills and regulating the approach to the vault.
- Beam —Students will train for advance dismounts and cartwheel work.
- Bars —Students will train for advance mounts onto the bar along with more advanced exercises.
Girls & Boys Advance Work Out (7-15 yr.)
This class is designed for students who have attained the Intermediat level skills in each event and looking for a challenge to fine tune his/her skills and to challenge themselves to learn more difficult tricks in all areas of gymnastics. The following gives an idea of the tricks that students will be exposed to:
- Floor —Students will train for flip-flops, handsprings, saltos, and beyond.
- Vault —Students will be exposed to handsprings, ½ ons and proper approach to the vault.
- Beam —Students will train for full turns, 1 arm cartwheels, and back walkovers.
- Bars —Students will work on Flyaways as well as other more advanced tricks will be covered when ready.
- Pommel Horse (boys only) —Boys will train for combinations, scissors, and movement on the horse.
- Rings (boys only) —Advance swings and combination tricks will be covered.
- Please note that all descriptions are subject to the ability of each student.
Classes taught by Elk Grove Gymnastics School
Head Instructor – Glen Marks
Associates Degree Physical Education – Instructor at Maine East for Age Group Program and High School Team – Special Olympics and Maccabbi Games coach – Team USA coach Special Olympic World Games Beijing, China – The 1st recipient of the Tim Rand award – Coached many National, Regional and High School champions – USA Safety Certified