Canine Commons Hours
|Sunrise to Sunset|
Canine Commons is an exclusive outdoor space just for dogs that is a joint venture between the Arlington Heights & Mt. Prospect Park Districts. Canine Commons is within Melas Park. Annual Membership is $50 for the first dog for Mt. Prospect Park District residents.
- Fenced 1.82 Acres in Melas Park
- Members Only (Key Fob Entry)
- Separate Areas for Large & Small Dogs
- Picnic tables
- Waste Receptacles with bag dispensers
Members are expected to comply with the following guidelines:
-All dog users must pay an annual fee, meet Cook County and Village of Arlington Heights vaccination, health screening and licensing requirements and sign a liability waiver to obtain a membership.
-Dog tags must be visible when using the park.
-Each dog must have its own dog pass to use the park.
-Dog passes are non-transferable and non-refundable.
-If you or your dog is feeling sick, do not enter the dog park.
-The small enclosure is reserved for dogs who weigh 25 pounds or less and is not available for large dogs.
Park Rules: These rules will be posted at the dog park entrance and dog pass purchasers will received a written copy of the park rules. Posted park rules must be adhered to at all times while using the dog park. Infraction of these rules may result in temporary or permanent loss of park privileges.
1. Users of this park do so at their own risk. The Arlington Heights and Mt. Prospect Park Districts are not responsible for any injury or damage caused by any dog in the off leash area.
2. All users must abide by regulations in Ordinance #260 of Arlington Heights and #525 of Mt. Prospect, which includes prohibition of alcohol.
3. Dogs must be healthy, fully immunized, de-wormed, and must display current Park District and Village ID tags on their collar if applicable.
4. A handler age 18 or older must be present at all times and is solely responsible for the action of their dog(s).
5. Cooperation between dog owners is expected including keeping order and enforcing dog park rules and Park District ordinances.
6. Dogs must be leashed prior to and leaving the park. Owners must carry a leash for each dog at all times.
7. Collars are to be worn at all times. No spiked collars.
8. Hours are from sunrise to sunset.
9. Keep your dog in sight and never leave the dogs in the park unattended.
10. No aggressive dogs allowed.
11. Maximum number of dogs per adult is two and both dogs must remain in the same run area with their owner. Large dogs (25 lbs. and above) are not allowed in the small dog area.
12. Children must be at least 6 years of age and accompanied by a parent or guardian 18 years or older to enter the dog park.
13. Please ask the owner’s permission before approaching their dog.
14. Dogs in heat are not allowed in the park.
15. Puppies under 4 months of age are not permitted in the park.
16. Immediately clean up and dispose of feces left by your dog.
17. No food of any kind, including dog chews and/or rawhides, are allowed within the fenced area.
18. Keep your dog away from the gate while other dogs are entering and exiting the park.
19. The Park District(s) have the authority to close the site for maintenance, weather related problems and special events without notice.
20. The Park District(s) staff has the authority to remove a dog owner from the park at any time.
21. Handlers/owners may be legally responsible for injuries or damages caused by their dog.
22. The Arlington Heights and/or Mt. Prospect Park Districts are not responsible for any damaged, lost or stolen property.
23. Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.
24. In case of emergency (dog bite or unsafe behavior) immediately call 911 for assistance. For all park maintenance, vandalism and other issues call 847-577-3003 Ext. 8 or (847) 298-3500.